Jun 17, 2011

24 Role Reversal

Remember when you were growing up and you were peppered with stories from your parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents, that began with “When I was your age” and you would inwardly groan, roll your eyes and say under your breath ‘here we go again?’

daughter-kissing-motherI know you know what I am taking about. Have you noticed when you started using the same phrases, getting the same look from your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, basically the younger generation when you're trying to impart some wisdom and discipline them? Well if you haven’t caught yourself “yet” here are some sure signs that you are there, when you catch yourself saying:

  • You know back in the day
  • Children now have no broughtupsy (no manners)
  • Why when I was their age I couldn’t get away with talking back to my parents
  • We living in a different age
  • Children should be seen and not heard
  • Speak only when you are spoken to and answer when you are called 
  • When I was growing up I listened to my elders

If we were told as children that when we became adults we would apply some of the same methods of speaking (sounding like our parents/guardians), to discipline, reprimand and impart wisdom we would have denied it vehemently. Ha ha ha ha, isn’t life funny. “The more things change, the more it stays the same”.

What are some of the things you find yourself repeating?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...