Many of us are often guilty of taking better care of others than we do ourselves. We feel unloved when the same focus of attention and care we give to the ones we love and care for is not reciprocated, showered upon us. Often we hold others responsible for our happiness, our successes, and things we fail to do for ourselves.
The first step begins with “us” in caring for ourselves inside out/outside in. If we do not recognize or fail to understand our own worth and value in life and take steps towards building and ensuring the maintenance of our self-esteem and happiness whom do we expect will do it?
I think some of the steps to taking care of oneself and expressing self-love begins with …
- Be honest with yourself 100% of the time for every season in every situation and circumstance.
- Teach yourself to see things as they are not as you would like them to be.
- Do not confuse self-delusion with hope.
- Surround yourself with people that will keep it real and grounded not with those that will tell you only what you want to hear, they are enablers that will happily support you off a bridge because they are not strong enough to give you the tools to help you maintain your path.
- Follow through on your commitment to yourself.
- Do not knowingly make promises to yourself you know you cannot and will not keep (self-delusion).
- Do what you say you will do even when no one is looking.
- Think before you speak. To speak out loud your intentions is to commit yourself to a thing, a person(s), an experience, or a job, you may not be able to do; complete or simply you may change your mind or lose the desire. If you are not sure then be silent (don’t speak it), if you’re in an environment that require a response then you declare uncertainty (‘am not sure') ask the person(s) to allow you to think it over (‘can I get back to you on that because I have some things to sort out’) and you will get back to them later.
- Take responsibility for your actions and poor judgments/mistakes (we all make them).
- Understand that mistakes do not make you a bad person it only makes you human and learning from them makes you wise while ignoring them and pretending makes you wilfully stupid.
- Be mindful that whatever you fail to learn will come again and will continue to manifest itself until you get the lesson. Learning teaches you to recognize the issue(s) so that you can articulate and be clear on what is not working and what is working in order for growth to occur (psychological, spiritual, emotional, financial etc, etc).
- Life is an evolution it will happen with or without your consent, only you determine whether or not you’ll be in the driver’s seat and have some say about how that evolution informs and transforms who you are and will become.
We all have something to offer the world and each other. Sometimes in life we are teachers and sometimes we are students, it's important to note that no matter which position we are at any given point, we should always be observers.