Mar 11, 2011

8 Keeping the tradition & Incorporating the new.

Waste, so much waste, unintentional or not 9 out of 10 times the green onions, onions, celery, thyme, rosemary, oregano get soggy and slimy and you have to throw it out because either you got too busy and didn’t cook enough times to use them all up or you bought too much because it was on sale and you told yourself you will use it all. This was never an issue for me growing up, throwing out greens was unheard of until I decided to abandon some of my traditional ways I learnt as a child, like how to preserve food and by extension save money all because all of a sudden I am “too busy”. That in a nut shell is the crux of the problem, too much adaptation and assimilation for my own good that it had me throwing out good old common sense and cost effect strategies learnt growing up in the Island of Trinidad of living and eating well. All that assimilating resulted in the cultivating disposable habits. Disposability i.e. waste, waste and more waste. Though I didn’t completely undo everything because frankly I think it’s too deeply embedded into my psyche. I finally said enough of the unproductive ways that amounted to unnecessary waste that amount to throwing money down the drain. Luckily for me, "old habits die hard" and I have regained my sense of equilibrium and reinstated my authentic knowledge’s reapplying them liberally into every aspect of my life, from baking my own breads, jams, cakes to green seasoning.

Today I made Green Seasoning. Yep, green seasoning in Trinidad that is what it is called. No fancy smancy word to difficult to pronounce or spell, just what it is, green seasoning. It is a combination of different green seasonings (I don't know if its designated as vegetable, but that's another debate best save for another day) such as regular thyme, Spanish thyme, rosemary, celery, green onions as well as onions and garlic for flavor blended with vinegar, water and a wee bit of salt. It is then bottled and stored in the refrigerator and used when needed to season your meats, poultry, fish, rice, potatoes or any other food you choose. The process of making it was quick and easy, less than 30 minutes from wash to cut to grind. Not bad for something that will last me at least six to eight weeks or more depending on how much cooking I do. I laugh at myself because I at times allow myself to be lulled into thinking doing it would take too much time, ah you know excuses, excuses, excuses. If i had a dollar for every time I use an excuse I'd rival Donald Trump. hmmmmm....and have more money than dirt.

I was flicking through the television channels (channel surfing) when I caught a show on Food & Budget. The title gave me pause. I don't recall if that was the title of the show or if it was the topic, though I had a good laugh at the “experts” advising people on how to eat well on a budget or how to get their fruits and vegetables to last longer and I think to myself, ‘they are underestimating people and over estimating their selves.’ Perhaps am wrong, after all they had to go to university to learn that right? Riiiiiiightttttttt.…..

Hmmmmmmmmm…..You see how easy it is to take for granted something you have known all your life? Don’t do it I tell yah, don’t dismiss the skills and knowledges you grew up with convincing yourself that something else is better. Hey don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with learning something new; heck, that's what life is all about learning and growing, just don’t dismiss what you already know to be tried and true. Simply put, keep the tradition and incorporate the new. Marry the right combinations and you can’t lose. You feel me? The truth is, it isn’t always about “better” sometimes it’s just about BALANCE.

8 comments:

  1. I am that person that buys too much of everything and ends up throwing some of it out. I have got to change my ways. You have inspired me Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buy small quantity that make sense and from today I will remember what you told to us.
    The green seasoning: I will try to make it:-)
    a very similarly to one that I used Green pickle for the Ham sandwich.
    Have a great weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to stop wasting food. I am so MAD at myself. I had put some chicken breasts in the oven to bake the other night so I could use them the next day for Chicken-Gnochi soup (like Olive Garden's). I had a headache from the busy day, went to lie down on couch, didn't hear the timer, fell asleep. At some point I must have gotten up and shut the oven off. In the morning, there sat the chicken, cooked to perfection, but no way can I use it after it sat in the oven all night long! Once again, I am so MAD at myself, after vowing to use food wisely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, do you use this green seasoning mix in the marinating process with your meats? When meats are marinated with mixture of fresh aromatic herbs the results are amazing, so I am just curious to know if I could use this 'green seasoning' as a marinade. I am very interested in this 'green seasoning' mixture because I cook alot with meat and I am always looking for new marinades/recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so on point! i hate waste myself & cringe anytime, i throw away food. Preservation is a problem here becox of the usual blackout, so i cook little that would stay for 2-3 days max!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't throw anything away ooo,
    n wen i really have to, it hurts so bad
    great post though

    http://chizys-spyware.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also inspired by this post. I like the things that go into the green seasoning. Can you please share the recipe with us?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green Seasoning sounds so good! The basis for good cooking, yummy eating and great health! Girl, keep those traditons alive!

    ReplyDelete

You Are Enough. Right here, Right now, In this moment, YOU. ARE. ENOUGH!

By All Means Speak Your Mind. However, Please Observe These 3 Basic Rules.

1. No form of abuse is allowed, everyone is entitled to their point of view (pov) as we all see and articulate the world differently, be respectful and speak without offending.

2. Please stay on the topic of discussion

3. Agree to Disagree

So what say you?

Note: All content here are mine unless otherwise noted. All photographs are taken by me again, unless otherwise noted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...