Aug 24, 2011

17 ‘Waste Not, Want Not’ Rescued Gum–An Interesting Observation

I was sitting in the train with my daughter conversing about all manner of things when a couple who appeared to be their late 40's early 50's entered and lovingly squeezed their selves into the seats directly opposite my daughter and I. The man raised his arm and put it behind the woman’s head and she scooted closer to him as they giggled affectionately. I smiled to myself as I watched the intimate by play. As the train sped off down the tracks the couple engaged in whispered conversations while my daughter and I silently acknowledged the couple to each other with our eyes. We  continued with our eclectic dialogue glancing periodically when there were some vocal outburst or laughter.

Two stops into the train ride the woman started digging around in her purse. After a few seconds she pulled out some gum. She gumunwrapped one and promptly offered it to the gentleman however in the process of taking the gum the train jerked and the gum slipped and fell on the train floor. What happened next shocked me as the man quickly bent and retrieved the gum from the ground and unceremoniously plopped it into his mouth chewing happily without missing a beat in their conversation. The woman did not seem surprised or put off by the action and they exchanged long kisses.
 
My daughter and I shocked looked at each trying discretely to look unaffected by gum action as we communicated with our eyes and facial expressions learnt from years of living with each other. Needless to say the consensus was “eewwww”, 'nasty son-of-a-bi-arch' as we both erupted into a fit of uncensored laughter. We were so animated we couldn’t help but draw the attention of other travelers on the train including the couple however I don't think they suspected we were laughing at them since we were laughing and talking before. My daughter and I could no longer look at each other, (our conversation ended abruptly overshadowed by the event) because we would just start laughing all over again. I kept thinking....’Disgusting’ damn, I mean, geez couldn't he have leave that piece of gum on the ground after all they had a full pack.
 
I had to distract myself as it was on the tip of my tongue to say something, I had to remind myself over and over to be mindful and mind my own business, after all it’s not my mouth the dirty gum went in. So why should I worry or be concerned? As a solution I simply put my earphones in my ear as did my daughter, she rested her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes while I relaxed and applied my granny’s saying to the action I witnessed, “Waste not want not”.
 
Yuck!

17 comments:

  1. Ew! How unsanitary! Retrieved from the floor of a public train? Yuck-o-rama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People can do the weirdest things. The best laughter ever is that secretly shared with a loved one…nothing like it. EWWW is the right term but maybe he "kissed it up to God" first! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passing thru here … I loved the gum story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t think it was such a bad thing, from your blog the gum wasn’t on the floor for long. I probably would have done the same thing and it’s not a matter of being cheap or having a whole pack. I am not a filthy person but I’m not obsessed with germs either and my immune system is great. It’s not like the gum had been on the floor with people walking all over it and he picked it up and ate it. It fell from his hands and he promptly picked it up.

    There was article the other day (I wish I had blogged about) about peoples fear of germs. It is believed this fear of germs is one of the main reasons that auto immune disease is on the rise these days because the body is fighting its self. It is fighting its self because it has nothing else to fight due to the fact everyone is so obsessed about preventing germs from entering their bodies.
    Pure filth and nastiness is one thing but what you described above I honestly did not find very hilarious…but to each his/her own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this post. One of the first rules for my kids was never put anything in your mouth that you have dropped. LOL I suspect from this post that your daughter was always taught that too.
    What appealed to me most about this post was the loving relationship you have with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t think that I would like to be in my boy friend though you wondering what kind of family he has himself…
    Do you know other place you would noticed quite strang things were at Air port LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL… I bet he ends up with some serious intestinal issues within 24 hours. Unless he has an iron gut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMAO, i definitely thought this was going to be a story of someone picking up already chewed gum and popping it in their mouth.

    This is nothing more than an example of the 2-second rule. If something falls on the ground, you can still eat it if you pick it up in 2 seconds or less. Personally, since childhood i've operated under the 2-second rule combined with kissing fallen objects up to God while stating the mantra of "God made dirt and dirt don't hurt" lol. But theres a limit. The 2-second rule should only be observed in your own "dirt" where you can make an informed decision about whether or not its ok to eat off the floor.

    At least the gum was dry, and most likely didn't pick up anything. Sticky/wet foods should never be eaten off the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @LadyNgo 2-second rule huh, on public transit where everything and anything has hit the ground including dodo when they bring in their dogs? To each his/her own I guess. Yuck....lol,lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol to each his own i guess...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eeeeewwww. It must be a common practice in their house, so the woman wasn't even moved

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely not something I would do but then, to each his own and he is probably a lot healthier than me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ewww. Ewww. Ewww! ICKKK! That's truly disgusting. Was it really necessary for him to pick up that particular piece of gum??? He could have just asked for another one. Or maybe he didn't want to waste it...hahaha! Oh wow.

    That shows bad manners or lack of care for dirty things. What if it was a sandwich that fell, would he have picked it up too? Lol

    I like how you write. You're very descriptive. I could picture the situation as I was reading the post. Keep up the good work!

    foreversweetlybroken.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. @*SweetlyBroken* I certainly thought it was gross but as you can read some don't.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @@ilola Didn't faze her at all cause she was sucking on those lips when he puckered up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Darling, you need to get published.You totally captivated me as you "painted" this story,... you speak in a very visual way, very dramatic and alive!
    I need a manager, are you available?...It would be my pleasure to have you in my corner and I will make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Petlyn Small Am available, becareful what you wish for! hmmmmm published huh, am working on it, have a few people bugging me about that. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

You Are Enough. Right here, Right now, In this moment, YOU. ARE. ENOUGH!

By All Means Speak Your Mind. However, Please Observe These 3 Basic Rules.

1. No form of abuse is allowed, everyone is entitled to their point of view (pov) as we all see and articulate the world differently, be respectful and speak without offending.

2. Please stay on the topic of discussion

3. Agree to Disagree

So what say you?

Note: All content here are mine unless otherwise noted. All photographs are taken by me again, unless otherwise noted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...