Sep 17, 2020

20 THE CHALLENGE OF PATIENCE AND TOLERANCE

Commuting into the city everyday at times can be an exercise in patience and tolerance. Some days it's like climbing a steep mountain in wet flipflops with a 20 gallon jug of water on your head .

This morning my commute to work was akin to a steep mountain climb in wet flipflops and a 20 gallon jug of water. I had to breathe deeply with a prayer on a continuous loop in my brain as I employed my patience and rachet up my tolerance. While the first trek of my journey was fairly uneventful the second leg proved anything but. I put away my my lastest novel MAVERICK by Lora Leigh  and made my way to the streetcar platform.

The designated waiting area for the streetcar was packed. There were two very long lines with dozens of kids on a school trip. I watched the notification clock - 15 minutes. I sighed as the numbers slowly decreased. In front me, beside me, behind me people complained and mumbled their displeasure at the long wait. I breathe deeply and waited.

After 15 minutes the streetcar arrived. It was pandemonium. We were all packed in. I was to the very front with no wiggle room. It was noisy as the kids chirped away loudly. By the third stop an elderly causcasian woman got up and attempted to push her way pass me. I said, "I ma'am I am not able to move. When the driver stops at your stop and open the door we will make room for you to exit." "It is stopped now, move," she said. She is literally in my face. I pulled back slightly took a deep breath and repeated, "ma'am I am not able to move, as soon as the driver stops at your stop and opens the door we will make room for you to exit."  She looks at me and sneers, "you just think you own the world don't you." I looked at her and said, "stop it." She starts again and this time the driver tells her, "ma'am they cannot move, I will open the door the next stop and you will have room to get out." She looks at me and started to argue. I said while I pray for patience and tolerance, "stop it, stop this, we will make room for you to leave, just stop."

The streetcar arrives at her stop and people step off temporarily, I was able to move out of the way for her yet she began to argue again. The driver said to her, "enough, look everyone made room for you to pass, be joyful, stop this, have a blessed day." She did not even say thank you. I thought, 'sweet Lord give me strength and endurance to navigate peoples ignorance. The next stop was mine. I was glad to be off and be done with it at least for the next 8 hours.

20 comments:

  1. People can be s annoying. Was she expecting you to disappear so she could pass?

    P.S: Long time. How are you doing? Just thought to check up on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings Toin, wonderful to see you here, yeah its been a while. I am blessed and endeavor to stay that way.. Thanks for checking in.

      Yes people can be at times annoying. Entitlement is a bit*h.

      Delete
  2. Some people can be so rude. I try to remember that they're living in their own personal hell, one of their own creation. Sometimes that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmmmm.......yes they can be. She was in my face and ready to fit, never once did her entitlement allow her to realize that she could be beaten down had i have the penance for violence.

      Delete
  3. Fully appreciate,understand,empathise & endorse your extreme discomfort. Believe me I have been through such harrowing experiences which make you want to explode and smash everything in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one does have to exercise extreme self-control in those situations.

      Delete
  4. Sadly there are those people around who are in a world of their own. Or they could be psychotic so it's good to try to move out of their way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmmm....sometimes moving is not applicable such as this day. There was no way to move out of her way. She simply had to be satisfied waiting, no matter how disgruntled she became.

      Delete
  5. First, I have to say that I absolutely loved Maverick by Lora Leigh enough to read it twice and it has a special spot on my bookcase. When I was a kid, a person like that would have caused me to fight(lol), now that I'm older, I pray quietly as you did for patience, and remember that in a year, it won't even matter. (lol) She has to deal with the repercussions of her bad behavior in life. Hugs and Happy Tuesday! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i enjoy Lora Leigh's writing. She and Christine Feehan are some of my top reads.

      I applied prayer indeed. It was the only way to get through without exploding.

      Delete
  6. I has been a difficult but I'm proud of I having done my past few years-Which have been so challenging for me I find it hard to show emotion.I feel that I better with more so tougher and harder. I can see my always need to have control of situations Whether tidiness in the past few years.Thank you to coming to see me so many years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The driver should have instantly stopped the bus and order her to get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmmm, he did the best he could given the situation.

      Delete
  8. Denise, I am sorry that was your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay safe in these difficult times. Doesn't help with people like that around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does not. It is a lesson however to not allow others bad behaviour to dictate yours.

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh! She was beyond rude. Demented, I'd say. You were wonderful to keep cool. And the driver also kept his cool. I'd be tempted to throw her off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, indeed the temptation was there however my peace of mind and freedom is paramount.

      Delete

You Are Enough. Right here, Right now, In this moment, YOU. ARE. ENOUGH!

By All Means Speak Your Mind. However, Please Observe These 3 Basic Rules.

1. No form of abuse is allowed, everyone is entitled to their point of view (pov) as we all see and articulate the world differently, be respectful and speak without offending.

2. Please stay on the topic of discussion

3. Agree to Disagree

So what say you?

Note: All content here are mine unless otherwise noted. All photographs are taken by me again, unless otherwise noted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...