Jul 12, 2016

18 Adapting to the Alternative - Construction Season:

SAM_6981
Construction, it is something one has to factor into their repertoire when living in the city and commuting. It can be a trial on ones patience, time and tolerance unless you approach all the diversions and adaptations you have to make to accommodate the necessary changes with acceptance. Thus was the approach I took when I knew 2 months prior via email of the coming construction that will impact me on my route to work.
The beginning:
On June 17th I worked late and came out and walked right into the Italian Festival in full swing. Clueless I walked along with the crowd to satisfy my curiosity after 15 minutes boredom set in and I turned around and headed in the direction that would take me home. It was then I noticed the additional barricades and signs notifying pedestrians of the coming construction to commence June 20th.  In my head I began to plan for the coming Monday June 20th. I start work at 10 am so my intention was to leave home by 8 am to accommodate all the diversions, detours and passengers confusion that will occur as a result. Sure enough it was pandemonium. Streetcars were replaced by buses with 75% less space capacity. Passengers were irritated, impatient and confused by the route detours and how they would be able to access their particular destination point, they were not prepared and the adjustment did not come easy.
I was prepared for the changes. I listened to the route attendant on the first day explaining the bus detours route and selected the option that best work for me. I was not pressed for time as I had left in early to accommodate the madness I know would ensue. I was 5 blocks to my job. The bus stopped 3 blocks shy of my destination which meant I had to walk 3 blocks to work. In the evening after work the process was pretty much the same. I had to walk 3 blocks to the nearest active bus stop. I walked 6 blocks a day and on days when buses were delayed which happened a couple of times I walked 11 blocks. I did this from June 20 – July 11th and I found that although I was tired at the end of each day it was not so bad. Sure it meant I reached home later and traffic was a bear at some points. However I adapted well. I think in part because I was prepared for it and I adjusted my thinking and just accepted that for a period of time I will have to deal with changes. The reality was there was little I could do to change the route interruptions due to the construction however I had all the control on how I dealt with the situation and the changes necessary to moving forward. Now things are back to normal and I have the gift of the lesson imparted by the experience.
My point:
Accept the things you cannot change and change the things you can. Find a way to adapt and keep it moving.
MY CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS
SAM_6923SAM_6924SAM_6979SAM_6926SAM_6978SAM_6929SAM_6930SAM_6931

18 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, they are working on one of our bridges that is closed at night and most weekends. It adds at least 15-30 minutes to my alway long commute... I decided to relax and read blogs and comment... I get a lot done on my bus ride home, we have at least another year of this too ♡ xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Me too, I walk with books + my tablet with also contains books and puzzles + my puzzle book. I get a lot down.

      Delete
  2. Oh construction. AS soon as the weather gets nice it starts. I get why, but how frustrating it can be. I guess, unfortunately, we have to deal with it, but I wish I didn't. I have bridge construction on my commute and it is suppose to help traffic, but hasn't so far. We shall see. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it almost always gets worst before it gets better. Good luck

      Delete
  3. I understand the analogy, and this has been my motto in life...change what you can and find a way to adapt with that which cannot be changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adaption though challenging is at times much easier on the heart and spirit.

      Delete
  4. Interesting Insights Rhapsody. Truly ba.. We might not be able to control or modify the changes that life brings our way yeah. But we sure as cold can change the way we react to whatever comes our way.

    Thank you for being an embodiment of wisdom in all the while. Best wishes moving forward eh! xx Mamba out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aspect the changes happens and try to live accordingly which will make life good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent analogy of life and on adapting to change!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a mess! Glad you were prepared. I walk 15,000 steps every day, so 11 blocks a day didn't seem like a whole lot to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh believe it was a whole lot to me too, to make it easier I walk with my camera out and took pictures along the way. I posted them all on instagram @rhapsodyphoenix

      Delete
  8. Words of wisdom. There are some things we can't do anything about. Many of them are not even life-threatening, they just pose some level of discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great insights, my friend. You are so right and, I agree with you. I learned through trial and error that what you say is true. Once I learned to change the things I could change and to adapt to the things I could not change, life became less stressful for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that.....
      Though I must say at times its a lesson that has to be relearn when we insist that things should be as we dictate.

      Delete

You Are Enough. Right here, Right now, In this moment, YOU. ARE. ENOUGH!

By All Means Speak Your Mind. However, Please Observe These 3 Basic Rules.

1. No form of abuse is allowed, everyone is entitled to their point of view (pov) as we all see and articulate the world differently, be respectful and speak without offending.

2. Please stay on the topic of discussion

3. Agree to Disagree

So what say you?

Note: All content here are mine unless otherwise noted. All photographs are taken by me again, unless otherwise noted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...